Skip to main content

The Underachiever

Another month and yet another assignment. I know I've been here before, but I definitely think that fatigue is setting in.

The subject today: "Discuss the reasons why pupils may underachieve in ICT within the secondary schools environment. With reference to your reading and your school experience, outline how these issues can be monitored and addressed in ICT".

3000 words.

Are you still awake?

Getting this essay together is the human equivalent of treading through 1000 miles of treacle. I've got some of the reasons down, but there are lots more to go and I fear I am losing the will to live. I had planned to have it done and dusted by dusk today, but after two hours (plus) of writing a literature review, I felt some suicidal tendencies emanating in the base of my cranium, so I thought it best to set it aside for a while.

Chatting with some fellow students (I told you I am coming to worship MSN Messenger in a dangerously cultish manner), I was reassured to find out that I'm the only one of the four who's actually started to write something down. Considering that hand-in date is Monday, I don't think I'm doing too badly.

I have sensibly decided to put the metaphorical pen down (read "keyboard") and concentrate on some mindless entertainment (aka surfing the internet, chatting with non-students on MSN and basically finding anything to pass the time except for writing the damn paper.) However, I do intend to get this pinned down by midday tomorrow, although I wouldn't put money on that happening.

In the past, writing about how I'm not getting anywhere has spurred me on to do it, but this time, it's gone 8 pm and I really can't be bothered for now. Knowing the way I work, I'll look at it tomorrow, with fresh(ish) eyes and get on a roll as the colloqualism goes.

See, I'm even showing off my command of English, as a ruse to spend less time thinking about what I should be doing. I find it highly ironic that I am underachieving so successfully in the writing of this topical Paper.

Shame, shame, shame on me. I should be an example to all of my students, instead of aping some of their rather suspect studying skills!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...