All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Tuesday 28 June 2005

Funny.adj - file under "Serious"

You know how it is. There are some films that you really like and remember as being very funny. You don't see them for ages and then, you watch them again but before you start, worry if you are going to find them funny again.

Or is that just me?

I'll cut to the chase. Today I watched "Blazing Saddles" on DVD. I haven't seen the film for years and sat down thinking that I wouldn't find it that funny. I needn't have feared. I was in fits for much of the movie - and we're not just talking about the farting scene (which, if you haven't seen it in a while is still hysterical).

What I hadn't realised though is that the film has been re-edited for TV and isn't half as funny (i.e. they cut out most of the raunchy lines and substitute cut footage). Thankfully the DVD contains the original print and it's nearly a laugh-a-minute.

Why am I telling you this? Simply because if you're feeling down, please do yourself a favour and put it on. You will feel your sides aching after a while because in short, it is a really really funny movie. Incidentally, the same thing happened to me when I saw The Producers recently.

I guess Mel Brooks' earlier stuff needs some re-evaluating. I can personally vouch that there's no other films that gets me in fits of laughter, throughout the running time.

Who ever said comedy wasn't a serious matter? Go on, you know you feel like a laugh, get the DVD's out and chuckle the night away.

No comments: