Skip to main content

Shavuot - The Festival Of Weaks

It all started off well enough. My parents and In-laws came over for the annual pre-shavuot meal. Dana made her incredible cold strawberry soup (with a topping of sour cream...yummy) followed by salmon en-croute. This special meal has happily become a family tradition and one that I always really look forward to, with great anticipation.

First day Shavuot we were invited out and it was great fun. We sat in the garden as watched the children playing. Yes, I was tired and went inside when my hayfever started playing up. I sat in the lounge and rather rudely dozed off. When I woke up, I hoped that no-one might have noticed, but they all knew. Fortunately, the host was also asleep in the garden!

So far so good. Tuesday morning, I woke up with terrible heartburn and the constant need to sleep. In fact, I spent most of the day sleeping. In 24 hours, I ate virtually nothing(which is most unlike me) and although we had guests coming over, I couldn't stop myself from dozing off.

I woke up, after the festival had gone out and forced myself to finish off my university work, with the intention of going in today, to submit my files. I woke up this morning feeling pretty groggy and fully aware that there was no way I was going to make it in. I spoke to my lecturer and he said he was OK about me bringing my files in on Friday, the actual final date of submission.

The bug hasn't only affected me. Both Tali and Shira are also down with it and as result have been unable to go with Dana, Hadassah, Michal and my in-laws to Chessington World of Adventures - which is a real shame because Tali was really looking forward to it.

So here I am, at home, nurofened and feeling slightly better, if still quite weak and headachey. The only good news though is that my voice has come back (I reckon that might have been a pre-cursor to my bug). It's also raining, so at least my hayfever isn't too bad.

I worked my backside off to get everything ready for taking in today. I guess its a question of "the best laid plans" not always working out. When I think how Shavuot could have been wonderful, it seems such a shame that my body picked these two days to play up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...