All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Friday 24 June 2005

Bye Bye University

I can't quite believe it but today is in fact my last as a student. My course ends when I walk out of school at 13.15

I've now fulfilled the statutory days demanded of me as a student teacher. From Monday, I will be effectively unemployed - until Thursday, so I reckon we'll survive. That's it folks, my course is over.

I have yet to hear whether or not I've passed, although between you and me (shhhh don't tell anyone) I am now a newly qualified teacher in everything but name. The exam board meets Mid-July to make those all important decisions and that's when I expect to get my congratulatory letter through the post.

It's been an interesting year, to say the least. There have been ups and downs although the positive has vastly outweighed the negative. I find standing in a classroom less daunting and if anything, I now have the confidence to teach, which I didn't have when I started.

I know I've only been doing this lark since September (and teaching since November) but it really does seem as though the "year" has zipped past. I was quite apprehensive when I embarked. People had told me how demanding the PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education)was and so I wasn't sure what to expect. I think it helped immeasurably that I am, by nature, pretty organised and so I didn't get into a rut sorting out my folders.

I worked steadily throughout the year, building up my portfolio, which meant that I was pretty relaxed by the end - as opposed to some of my fellow students who ended up working around the clock to sort out their folders in on time. The hand-in date was Friday, yet quite few students were given extensions and needed the weekend to finish off. I'm not gloating, but I have to say I was glad that I got it out of the way on time.

So there we are. Ten months on and it's over. Don't worry though, The Teacher's Scribbles have only just started. The difference is that now, I'm scribbling with a better quality pen.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported me through the course.

So, people.... let the adventures begin!

3 comments:

The Scribbler said...

Thanks Kiki. Consider yourself my first Grade A student!

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Congrats to you!

I ordered the book by Rabbi Donin, thax for the recommendation.

The Scribbler said...

ok. Hope you like it. Look at the site too.