Skip to main content

Back to Skool

I've been contacted by new manager-to-be, asking me to come in from next Monday. I was hoping to have a few days break, but I really shouldn't be complaining as I get six weeks off in about a month.

The weather is going through a rather glorious patch. Who wants to work in this heat? And why are schools NEVER air-conditioned. What kind of primitive country do I live in?

Comments

Just said…
Hi CW,

The weather is really super. But little Dave's elimentary schoolbuilding is a "oven" too, little protection against warming up in such conditions.

Good Luck and take care

BTW: the boy I gave extra lessons to this last schoolyear in English managed to score a 6.9 on his final exam and a 7 on his overall list - on a scale of 10. He came from a 4.7 overall result last schoolyear, thus making a jump of 2.3 points. His teacher was impressed! And we two are very happy ... .
The Scribbler said…
Thanks Cuz.

Well done on your student. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you feel you've made an impact? It's what teaching is all about - and you appreciate it all the more when you have to get through all the other "stuff" to see what the kids can do if they really apply themselves.
I should have been a teacher... I guess there is still time if I really want to make it happen.
The Scribbler said…
Never too late. You certainly have the empathy for kids, which is half the job

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...