Skip to main content

My Crying, Broken Heart


Satellite Photo of Gaza (2005)


The ancient Rabbis say that the Second Temple was destroyed because of sinat chinam, (i.e.)baseless hatred between one Jew and another. In other words, the Jews hated each another so much so, that they literally ripped apart the most treasured possession they had, which was the Temple. G-d therefore sent the Romans to finish off the job for them.

This Tisha B'av, my heart cries for yet another reason. I constantly read the reports coming from Israel regarding the ongoing conflict that is developing between the Settlers and the Israeli Army over the imminent disengagement from Gaza - how Jews are once again quarreling - and I can feel my heart and soul being pulverised from within.

Is Gaza worth the earthquake that is taking place in Israel right now? No no no! It's certainly not. The sad truth is that all parties involved have been wronged for one reason or another:

The Settlers, in my opinion, are justified in feeling betrayed by successive Governments who enthusiastically encouraged them to go to the Strip in the first place. Now, they are being wrenched from their homes and livelihoods, uncertain of what lies ahead. Naturally, they are angry and disappointed (and I'm not just talking about the idealists) although I don't in any way condone the acts of violence being carried out to further their cause.

The 18 year old soldiers are being pulled from all sides. How can they be expected to do their jobs with some of their Rabbis - who should be letting the politicians and the Army get on with it - mixing in and complicating things by scandalously telling the soldiers who are their students, to disobey orders? (I really hope that these Rabbis are kicked in jail for treason). Additionally, the poor kids - and they are kids - face the extremely unpleasant task of evicting women and children from their homes. Would YOU want that job?

Sharon is taking a huge risk by pushing for this leap into the unknown and has had to deal with the disgusting behaviour of Bibi Netanyahu (ex Finance Minister) who quit his job on the eve of the disengagement, due to "ideological differences". If he felt so strongly about the policy, why didn't he leave three or six months ago? The man doesn't deserve to hold office.

The rest of us look on in horror at the unfolding drama and wonder where all this will lead, especially when the Palestinians don't seem to doing a single thing to rein in the terrorists.

So, after all this, do I think the disengagement is the right thing to do? Yes I do. As heartbreaking as I feel it to be, staying in that G-dforsaken piece of land will do nothing to ensure our security or bring about peace. The terrorists have been firing mortars, making bombs and sending out suicide bombers whilst the settlers have been in situ - and their being there has not stopped the attacks. Additionally, numerous settlers (including mothers and children) have been killed by terrorist attacks inside Gaza. They are literally "sitting ducks".

Gaza is a case of 'damned if you stay or damned if you go'. There is no right answer. However, if by leaving, the Settlers can save one more Jewish soul, then I'm all for it - and that's why I back the disengagement.

I feel differently about Judea and Samaria because there is a continuous thread of Jewish settlement that goes back to Biblical Times and I believe that Jews should be living in these areas, if they want to. Gaza was a trouble spot for Samson and it is the same for his descendants. We are leaving a cursed area and that's the way I look at it.

I just wish the others, who are fighting to stay there now, felt the same way.

Comments

I'm not jewish, yuo know that... and I'm don't know the definition of all the terminology you used in this post... but there's is one thing I do know...

Tearing down your fellow man is wrong... always. When that person is a member of your (jewish) family... it's extra wrong.

Personally, I was created with some missing parts. I simply DO NOT have the capacity to turn my back of people, people of any kind.

But God made up for that deficiency by giving me an extra helping of understanding... the ability to listen and empathethize... even with people I cannot possibly understand because they are just too different.

I'm almost finished reading the book you recommneded. I haven;t bothered you with questions because as I read, questions I thought I had become anwerable in my heart. The terms still are confusing... but I made myslef a little dictionary (which I feel like submitting to the author because a glossry of terms would be very helpful to non-jewish readers).

You enrich my life and I'm happy to know you... even if only in blogger-land. Youve helped de-shroud mysteries I simply was ignorant of 4 months ago.

I cannot thank you enough. So I will just say "thank you," and hope that you realize how deeply I mean it.
The Scribbler said…
Rachael,

Thank you for your comments which really touched me. If my writing this blog has helped to de-legitimise as it were, some long-held inaccurate perceptions about Jews and Israel, then I'm doing my job ok.

Please know that I am always happy to answer any questions that you have about our religion - even if you think they may be insignificant.

In response to your last comment, it is an absolute pleasure to "meet" you and find out about your truly remarkable life. I think we have all created an incredible community of special people who show they care about others. This is demonstrated both through posts and often heartfelt comments.

Rachael, thank YOU for letting us all into your personal life.

Who would have thought that it would be so liberating to share our intimate secrets with perfect strangers?!

Sometimes bravery needn't just be about saving other people's lives.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...