Skip to main content

Hindsight

Tomorrow is the sixtieth anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima and it is indeed a sobering commemoration. Sixty years ago, the atomic age began and thousands lost their lives.

I know that a bunch of bleeding heart liberals will pour out the usual condemnation of the Americans for dropping Little Boy on the Japanese. They will say how "terrible it was and that it shouldn't have happened blah blah blah".

Yeah, well, fellas it did happen and what's more, if tomorrow was the 6th August 1945, the Americans would drop the bomb again (so to speak) and rightly so.

Our generatation has never known a world war. Yes, we've witnessed terrible events but we haven't had to face the kind of war that our grandparents had to live through. It is so easy to use the benefit of hindsight to criticize the decisions made by those generals back in '45. The leaders of the time knew what they were doing and if they didn't - well, isn't that what experience is all about? - they soon found out.

My father, who did live through the war and was in the US at the time, remembers the complete backing that the bombings of Japan received from the American public. This was four years after the humiliation at Pearl Harbour and memories were still raw. The Japanese behaved abominably to their enemies, in particular, to the Prisoners of War ( just watch Bridge Over The River Kwai if you don't believe me) and the Americans knew that Japan would fight to the death - quite literally. The Americans realised that something big had to be done to stop them. That so many innocent Japanese were killed as a result, is all the more horrific.

I fully understand the need to respect and honour the memories of all those who lost their lives on Sith August 1945. What I won't accept is the arguments that the bombing should not have taken place - it did and rightly so. War is cruel and bloodthirsty and I thank G-d that I didn't have to come through it but I refuse to use hindsight as an excuse to criticize actions that were seen by the Americans at the time, as being crucial in curtailing the war.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki tragically happened but the world we live in today would be no better had they not taken place and that's what we need to think about tomorrow.

Let our prayer be, that no country ever feels the need to use Nuclear weapons on another nation and that's what sixth August means to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...