Skip to main content

Despair

I turn on CNN and watch a Palestinian, unable to hide his glee at the disengagement, explaining how he "loves the Jews" whilst stating that he wants them to get out of Palestine (and he's not just talking about the territories) for their own good.

I then tune into the Jewish Settler network (Arutz Sheva) only to hear Jews calling Ariel Sharon, the democratically elected prime minister of Israel, a criminal and referring to the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) as the INA - Israel Nazi Army. If that's not bad enough, a Rabbi comes on to be interviewed and states that Sharon and his ministers are the "Erev Rav" (literally the mixed multitude) i.e. the half Jewish half Egyptian troublemakers who left Egypt with the Israelites and caused all the problems in the desert (such as the making of the Golden Calf and the Korach rebellion).

I despair at the situation in Israel right now. The Settlers are understandably bitter and the Palestinians see the disengagement as the beginning of their campaign to kick the Jews out. Yet, had the Jews stayed in Gaza, the situation would not be any better.

Over a hundred years after the return of the Jews to our land and nearly sixty years after our miraculous independence, we are still fighting the very same battle for survival. We are a stiff-necked people and that is our strength. Additionally, as the song goes, we do have G-d on our side but I for one, would just love to know how He's going to sort this problem out. I have come to the decision that it is an issue beyond human grasp.

Today we move out of Gaza and then what? Peace? Acceptance by the Arabs?
Who are we kidding? Of course not.

I hold my head in my hands and despair at the ongoing tragic nature of the situation.

I despair.
I despair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...