Skip to main content

In The Dark Sky, A Shaft Of Light.

Through the tears I shed for Gaza, I see a positive element emerging from the fire.

I am so impressed with the way the soldiers have handled the almost impossible situation. They are dealing with their fellow Jews in an incredibly compassionate and humanitarian manner.

Where else would you see soldiers who are evacuating protesters doing their utmost to avoid hurting the evacuees?

Where else would you see soldiers/policemen and women crying alongside the people they are being ordered to take away?

Where else would soldiers/policemen who are removing protesters, go into the field unarmed?

Where else would soldiers/policemen exhibit such restraint in the face of extreme provocation, such as their being called Nazis by the Settlers, having food and chemicals thrown at them or continuously being screamed at?

There is total empathy by the soldiers/Police as to how the protesters are feeling and this is demonstrated in their extraordinary behaviour vis a vis the Settlers.

In the Bible, we Jews are commanded to be "Or La Goyim" - a light to the (other) nations of the world. In other words, we have a role to be an example to the other nations in how to behave towards our fellow human beings. We also have a concept of "Kiddush Hashem" - sanctifying G-d's name, whereby when Jews are shown to act in a humanistic way, we extol the virtues of G-d's name and demonstrate that we are indeed acting as that light. I believe that the behaviour of the Army and Police were indeed a case of Kiddush Hashem. The whole world looks at this and sees how Jews behave towards one another and by extension, learn a lesson on how human beings should treat each other.

As a Jew, I am so very proud of my brethren right now. The Israeli Army and Police, maligned by the media most of the time is demonstrating the Jewish ethics and morals that distinguish it from any other army in the world. I'd like to see how the British, French or Americans would behave in such a situation?

We Jews may argue a lot and debate on everything under the sun, but when push comes to shove (quite literally), we unite and remember that we are one people and this gives me great hope as to the future of the State of Israel. United we stand, divided we fall - and from the way the Army has behaved, we will recover from these traumatic events and live to fight another day.

Here's a message to any Palestinians who think that by leaving Gaza, we are demonstrating weakness

- Look at the way we treat one another when our backs are against the wall. You can send us as many suicide bombers as you want; you can call for the destruction of our State till you are blue in the face but you will never never defeat us because Am Yisrael Chai - The Nation of Israel lives - with and without Gaza. You've won this battle but as I look at the way Jews treat their brethren when the chips are down, I am in no doubt that we will win the war.

Comments

Amen.

Let us look at this as a time when Jews reengage and connect with one other to bring a better, stronger Israel.

I have a few posts on the disengagaement as well.
The Scribbler said…
I will have a look.
We need to focus on Israel, on the Jews, not the Palestinians and look for our own security in this entire matter.
The Scribbler said…
Absolutely, which is why I have such high respect for the behaviour of the army and police. I think the behaviour of those kids on the roof of the Synagogue (who weren't even settlers) was disgraceful.

Whether or not you agree with the disengagement, the rule of law needs to be obeyed and had the soldiers/police broken ranks, the entire structure of the country would have fallen apart.

I couldn't care less about the Palestinians, I really couldn't. My concern is unity amongst the Jews. The Settlers demonstrated and left - they retained their dignity, whereas these anarchists, by their antics, did us no favours.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...