Skip to main content

The Appropriate Course Of Action

I was invited over to an old friend's house yesterday afternoon. She and her husband have recently become first time parents to a gorgeous baby and you can see that this is a very loved and fussed-over little girl (in the way that we all paid that little bit of extra attention to our first child) who is but twelve weeks old.

Another parent and I were sitting in the room talking with the mother as she was changing the baby's nappy and we both noticed that she wasn't supporting the baby's head when she put her down. I felt it right to gently mention this to the mother, mindful that she might take offense. The other mother backed me up, saying that she didn't want to say anything, but since I had said something about it, added that she'd noticed the father doing the same thing and had wanted to say something. I should add that I've known this friend for over ten years and we've been through quite a lot in our own lives during that time, which we've shared together in many conversations.

My friend took my advice well and I later showed her the way pick babies up (and let's face it, I've had a lot of practice) when it came to photo time. Again she was fine about it (or rather, she looked as though she didn't mind).

I later spoke with someone else who admonished me for having told the mother "how to bring up her child", saying that she would have really resented someone telling her what to do, with regard to child-rearing. She asked me if the baby looked happy and I said she did. "So why make the comment in the first place?" was the general reply.

I feel very strongly that if I see a situation like this, I should say something - but in hindsight, should I have kept my opinions to myself? Parents out there, can I please have your say, because I would like to know the appropriate course of action, should I encounter this again? How would you feel if a person commented on something you were doing, with regard to your baby?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...