Skip to main content

I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but my dad is a U.S. Citizen. As a result, although I grew up in the UK, I personally identify myself as being American, even though I have not received State approval.

Those of you who have been reading my blogs for a while may recall that my grandmother passed away last September, less than a month after her 100th birthday. She lived on 93rd and West End Avenue, on New York's Upper West Side. I visited her number of times and was last there in January 2002 - I was unfortunately unable to make it to her levaya (funeral).

I have always felt at home in New York. I love the city - the buzz, the pace, generally the atmosphere. When I went there with my parentsa while back, my father took me to the places that he had grown up in. I finally saw the area that moulded and developed him and it made me understand my father all the more as a result. It was a very special trip.

I'm delighted to report that my parents will be going to the US in late October. The best news is that both Dassi and I will be tagging along. To be more precise, they will be going at that time so that Dassi and I can go with (we're both off school).

I'm really excited about the trip. The raison-d'ĂȘtre is to see my Grandmother's headstone, so no doubt the experience will be tinged with some sadness.Most of all, I see this as an opportunity to strengthen my relationship with my eldest daughter. Hadassah and I are quite similar in nature and as result, our personalities clash. Often.

I'm hoping that our time together will allow us to build on our relationship, without the presence of the other kids. There will be strained moments as there are always are, but I really do want us to come back as a stronger father and daughter unit.

I don't know yet how the holiday plans will pan out, but just the thoughts of taking my daughter to the US fills me with such excitement, I want to go now!

As I said at the start, I'm an American and I can't wait to get back "Home" (aside from my ultimate home, which is Israel).

Comments

For some reason I had it in my head that you were a new yorker... which is why I was so sur[rised to learn you lived in london!
The Scribbler said…
Rachael,
You couldn't have given me a greater compliment, even if you tried, so thank you.

Athena,

Thank you. It's the warm attitude of people like you and Rachael who make me want to make the US my home.

My fellow Americans are SO friendly!!! G-d bless America.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...