All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 3 August 2006

Tisha B'Av - The Ninth of Av

Today is the ninth day of the Jewish month of Av, which is translated as Tisha B’Av. It is the saddest day in the Jewish calendar as it eerily marks the commemorations of countless tragedies that befell our people, including the destruction of our two temples in Jerusalem and the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492.

You can read more about the day here.

I’ve always found it to be really strange that all these terrible things have happened throughout the centuries on exactly the same day. There doesn’t seem to be a rational explanation, but then again, if there were rationality in the world, would the Jewish people be still around after five thousand years?

I’ve been fasting for 21 hours (that’s right, no food or drink) and I’m starting to feel light-headed. For those who don’t know, in the three weeks leading up to this day, we observe a period of mourning. The twenty one days relate to the amount of time it took the Bablylonians to destroy the temple from breaching the walls of Jerusalem. This year, the current war began on the day before the commencement of this period  - so we feel all the more worried about what is going to happen.

Ok. That’s my bit. I’m going to go off to Shul (synagogue) to get some serious prayer under my belt and listen to stirring sermons…until the fast ends at 9.36 pm (I won’t eat till about 10….but I know I’ll make it!)

Let’s talk on happier days.

No comments: