All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Monday 23 May 2005

Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith

WARNING!!!

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM YET AND ARE HOPING TO DO SO, PLEASE DON'T READ THIS BLOG!!!

Dana says that my opinion of the film is probably coloured by the expectation I've had (like everyone else, I imagine) and that six months down the line, I might change my mind.
I don't think so.

So what did I like?

Aside from the astounding special effects (which are taken as granted), it is the only one of the prequels that feels like the other Star Wars movies (i.e. the older ones). This could very well be down to the presence of a numerous beloved characters (like Chewbacca and yes, Vader) or maybe the knowledge that the events we are witnessing therein are indeed leading up to the start of Episode 4 (known to you and I as the original Star Wars movie). Without a doubt, I would say that it is the best in the series since Return of the Jedi.

What didn't I like?

I was thinking about this (sad person that I am), but I honestly believe that one element has been missing from all three prequels and that is the sense of wonder and spirituality, if you will, that I still experience when watching the other movies. You really do care what happens to Luke and his friends. You empathise with them - they are a team. I'm afraid, I can't say the same about the new lot. The whole mystical element of the Force which elevates the movies above your average sci-fi/action extravaganza is sadly missing from the prequels and this, to me, is what makes the original Star Wars movies, so, dare I say it, original?

I think the chief fault lies with the miscasting, once again, of the actor playing Anakin Skywalker. He just doesn't do it for me. Ani (we're on first name terms I'll have you know) is meant to be a tragic figure who has given himself to the Force. Sorry , but I really didn't feel too empathetic, because the actor just didn't convince me with his portrayal.
Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and Ian McDiarmid (Palapatine) were great, but poor old Hayden Christensen's acting just left me cold. At the end of the movie, I'm still not sure why Anakin went over to the dark side (maybe it's just my lack of understanding) and if it's because of Padmé - that does seem like an awfully twee reason to want to rule the galaxy!
See it, enjoy, but don't expect a film that tops any of the first three movies.

FINAL RATING:
4/5 CLAUDIE'S

No comments: