All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Tuesday 10 May 2005

It's Incredible!

We received the lovely photo of the girls (please scroll down to have a look) yesterday. A few minutes later, with the aid of a scanner, I had it displayed as my desktop wallpaper, entered onto this site, as well as being wallpaper on my cellphone screen.

We take technology these days for granted, but I have to admit that I was pretty gobsmacked at the idea of being able to use the photo in so many different ways - in so short a time. If you had told someone ten years ago, that you would soon be able to share your pictures with anyone in the world at the click of a mouse button, they would not have believed you. Who could envisage that we would not only walk around with telephones wherever we went, but also use them to take photographs?!

Sometimes, it's interesting to take a step back and look at the technology available to so many of us. We take so much for granted these days and it is so easy to become blasé, that I sometimes wonder whether we really deserve such luxuries.

I'm glad to report that over the last year, the blog, as a medium of communication has really come into it's own. In countries like Iran, blogs are being banned as they are seen as being dangerous. People are finding ways to express themselves as never before and once again, the pen (or rather mouse) is proving to be mightier than the sword.

When I started this "project", for want of a better word, people thought I was a little mad (or perhaps, a little madder!) sharing my ideas with strangers. "Why would you want to do that?" I was asked. I couldn't explain it but perhaps the explosion in blogging has helped to redefine my motives for using this sort of communication. I still can't give an adequate reason for wanting to share my thoughts with you. It just feels like the right thing to do and it is so enjoyable that I never want to stop!

Blogging is the latest form of communication. I think we've evolved a lot since those cave drawings and yet, maybe this is the constant that runs throughout the ages. Man has always needed to communicate with others. Perhaps, in our blogging, we are just carrying this intrinsic desire to spread our ideas and thoughts to other human beings. I really don't know.

The technology amazes and sometimes frustrates, but there's no denying that we have definitely entered a new age of communication. My job as an IT teacher helps me to get those inquisitive minds looking for new solutions. I guess that for me, communication can't get better than that.

1 comment:

Just said...

Well CW, dear coz, you sure published an most interesting post once again. I too was thinking over what progress has been made the last 10 or 20 years.

My current trip was in the early stages looking like it would be a "Round The World" trip and when I came across a cheap copy of Jules Verne's famous book on that topic last week it made me wonder.

Anyhow, I have something most interesting to read on the plane back home tomorrow.