All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Monday 16 May 2005

The Songwriter

The last entry really got me thinking. As you will recall, I alluded to some songs I'd written. To be precise, I wrote over sixty compositions between 1985 and 1992. I even managed to get into the finals of two song contests although I didn't win either. No matter.

I'm fortunate in that I recorded all my songs onto cassette (I can read music but never bothered to notate) and a couple of years ago, transferred these onto CD. The beauty of this means that all the compositions are downloadable to PC.

You might have noticed a new feature about the third of the way down the left hand column of this page. I thought it would be a nice idea to give you the option of hearing some of my compositions. I have to warn you that I'm not a Frank Sinatra. Far from it - but I hope that you won't find my voice too grating (or upsetting!!!) Some of my compositions are just tunes, played by me on the piano, whilst others are fully fledged songs, for which I wrote both the music and lyrics.

Please feel free to press the play button to listen. As the files (which are in the MP3 format) are quite large (up to 2mb), they may take a while to come through (particularly if you have a dial-up connection) . I will try to upload a new piece every week. Please tell me if you have trouble getting a connection.

I'm neither Lennon nor McCartney, Leonard Cohen nor Dylan but I think I've got a style that's all my own. I hope you enjoy listening to the another side of me. I really enjoyed writing those numbers. Who knows, I might come up with some more one of these days.

No comments: