Skip to main content

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

Today, I nearly became part of a very special club.
This esteemed establishment is only open to the select few (i.e) those who can prove that they really do want to be members of the Association, by demonstrating their credentials via the simple act of crying.

No, let me make it more explicit.

Blubbing.

We're not talking about simple tear-stained cheeks here. We're going the whole hog. We are bringing up inconsolably frustrating and totally dignity-shedding oceans of tears.

Think Alice in Wonderland and you're pretty much there.

This morning, my tenth grade class nearly reduced me to that state. They trod, trampled, in short, creamed me into the ground. I tried the various tricks and disciplinary methods but they were having none of it. They were baying for my blood

But not quite.

I'm glad to say that I didn't blub. I fumed, fretted and plotted my revenge but I didn't crack. They realised they had gone too far because the entire class en masse (well, probably not the entire class, but damned near most of them) actually showed up at the lunchtime detention that I had thrown in their direction.

For twenty minutes of sheer sweetness, I actually got some work out of them. Yes, they complained. Yes, they wanted to go to lunch and yes I let them go (eventually) but I did inflict some kind of retribution on the little you-know-whats.

Thursday will be an altogether different experience. I'm going to lay down the law, clear and simple.

The one thing I won't do is cry.

...at least, I'll try my best not to. As far as I'm concerned, I am already a signed-up member of too many clubs and the Desolate Teachers Society is not one that I plan to join soon, if ever.
I hear that they've got too many members anyway and the waiting lists are phenomenal.

Comments

Just said…
Hi Claude,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow!

All the best and courage!

Just

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...