All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 5 January 2006

Movie Review: The Producers

Granted that I only saw the theatre production on 22nd December, I wasn't sure how I'd react to a filmed version of the very same show. I'm therefore delighted to report that the movie didn't let me down.

The jokes run throughout and the scene in the the musical director's house (with all the crew) is truly riotous. The casting is of course impeccable and Matthew Broderick in particular shines during his musical numbers. The dance sequences are magical (especially during the "I want to be a producer" showstopper, which reminds one of Hollywood's golden age) and the general tone is definitely enhanced by the location filming.

This is very much a filmed performance, which will no doubt bother some people, but not me.

Having seen the show twice in a short time, I think I'm going to take a break from it for a while, but when the DVD comes out, it will definitely find a place in my collection.

In terms of how the two films compare, I think that the songs enhance the original and leading me to wish that Mel Brooks had created the musical concoction back in 1968 - without a doubt, Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder would have made the classic movie even more memorable (if that's possible).

If you see it, do stay right through to the end of the credits.

The Teacher's Rating

5/5 Full Marks!

No comments: