All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Wednesday 18 January 2006

Guitar Man

On Tuesday evenings, two friends come over and we sit and learn some fascinating Jewish texts (we’re covering the Rambam’s/Maimonides  Hilchot Bet Habechirah – the laws of the Temple in Jerusalem and it’s totally engrossing).

This evening, with one friend in Israel for a few weeks, the other guy came over and brought me a belated birthday present – new strings for my guitar. Not only that, he actually re-strung it for me too and spent the rest the evening treating me to a concert of one beautiful song after another. We sang, we laughed and let the night drift away and before we knew it, we’d been at it for over three hours. His repertoire was truly incredible.

I can’t remember the last time I sat with someone and just sang songs – voices and guitar. It was truly magical and reminded me that sometimes, if we let our hearts soar, everything else around us seems so very superfluous.

No comments: