Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I saw this film last week and have deliberately avoided writing a review, to see how I would feel about it, seven days on. I couldn't make up my mind about whether I liked it or not, or indeed, whether it is cracked up to the great movie that everybody's talking about.

A week on and I'm sorry, but "The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" is a bit of a disappointment. True, I haven't read the book, so I didn't know what to expect, but then again, I haven't read Harry Potter and I really liked the last two movies.

On the positive side, the special effects are fantastic and the talking animals do merit highly on the "wow" quotient. The scenery is stunning and the final battle scene pretty exciting. In fact, the cinematography reminded me quite a bit of Lord of The Rings (not surprising since this was also partly filmed in New Zealand) and therein lies the problem. The said movie reminded me too much of the Rings trilogy and as a result led to my feeling disappointed with the final result. I am a huge fan of the Lord Of The Rings movies and to be frank, it's probably not a good idea to invoke memories of the glory inherent in LOTR if this new movie isn't going to hit the same emotional targets.

The actress who played Lucy reminded me so much of Shira that I forgot most of the what was going on, marvelling at her resemblance for most of the running time (although Shira's prettier). I actually fell asleep during the first or second reel, which I found incredibly slow-moving. I did perk up when the children met Aslan, so that's a plus.

All in all, maybe I expected too much and should have just enjoyed the ride for what it was. In short I wasn't impressed. Maybe, I'll feel different if I see the movie on TV, once the hype has died down.

Go and see the movie but take a child along. You might get more out of it that way.

The Teacher's Rating

3 (out of 5)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...