Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Simpsons Movie


I'd really been looking forward to seeing this movie (not unlike virtually everyone else in the western world) and the chance to see it as soon as it came out, was something that I was not going to pass up. So I bought tickets for the three oldest girls and myself and took them to the cinema yesterday morning - without disclosing what we were seeing. This was only the second screening of the film.

The surprise virtually complete (it would have been, had a woman in front not sat down ten minutes before the film started and asked me if we were watching "The Simpsons" - of course Dassi's ears pricked up and she'd heard our conversation), I sat back and prepared myself to enjoy what what would no doubt be an hour-and-a-half of unadulterated entertainment.

The movie started and I was instantly hooked. The jokes came thick and fast and our modest audience (it was only 10 am after all) laughed appreciatively, soaking up the feel-good atmosphere.

Then, after about quarter of an hour, to my horror, a large group of teenagers (not unlike the kids I teach) walked into the cinema. They sat behind us and started off by throwing their popcorn across the auditorium, talking loudly, laughing inappropriately (if you know what I mean) and generally spoiling the entire film for the rest of us. At one point, one schmuck even walked over chairs in-front of us, so that he could get a better view.

My children were shocked at this behaviour, particularly Dassi, as this is not something she has seen before. I sadly felt in familiar territory, not least because, for all I know, some of them might have been kids I'd taught.

So, in short, my entertainment of this film was curtailed by this experience in the cinema, rendering any review I could make, flawed.

What I can say, if I try to rise above the resentment I felt towards these teenagers, is that this is a funny, original and wonderfully subversive movie (pretty much what the Simpsons is all about) and I think I'm probably going to wait to see it again, before I can make my mind up as to how much I do or don't like it. It would therefore be unfair of me to rate it, based on what happened yesterday.

I know I should have tried to get these kids ejected, but did I really want to face the kind of harassment I've experienced from these horrendously brought up, ignorant peasants? There was only me and my four little girls and sometimes, you need to know when to put up and shut up (especially when you don't have the power of the education system, for all its flaws, behind you).

It's a shame, because viewing The Simpsons Movie should have been a much more pleasant experience. I don't think Homer would be impressed.

Then again...

Recommended (because every one will have seen it anyway)

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...
Heavenly Fires - Dvar Torah for Parshat Acharei Mot-Kedoshim She was the largest of her type and class. It is said that passengers on the LZ 129 Hindenburg Zeppelin Airship couldn’t tell when she had disembarked as her launches were so smooth. 80 years ago, on 6 th May 1937, she caught fire over Lakehurst, New Jersey and crashed into the ground in a coruscating ball of fire. 36 people, including 13 passengers, 22 crew and 1 member of the ground unit died. Among the dead was Captain Ernest Lehmann, highly respected and experienced in piloting German airships, but who was later criticized for often making reckless manoeuvres that compromised the airship’s safety. The explosion’s cause is still unknown, despite numerous theories propagated since. On the eighth day, dressed in his magnificent Priestly robes, he faced the throngs of people, staring in disbelief at the sight. The Mishkan (Tabernacle), gleamed in the hazy midday sun, a structure whose presence owed its being ...