Skip to main content

Movie Review: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix


Now as you probably know, I have not read the Harry Potter books yet, which is probably a mistake, granted that I've now seen all the films.

This one, which at times is so dark, really makes me wonder whether the Director has had an almighty row with the lighting crew. There really is very little light, both visually and in the storyline, which jokes aside, I am told accurately reflects the sombre mood exhibited in the books.

That said, I enjoyed 2/3 of this movie, particularly Imelda Staunton's delicious performance as Dolores Umbridge, as well as Harry's turn as class teacher.

I'm afraid the final reel left me cold as I literally lost the plot (nodding off for a moment didn't help either). Thankfully, those nice people at Wikpedia.com explained it to me, which sort of defeats the purpose of the film's director, who didn't do a very good job in clarifying the murky denouement. I also felt the pace lagged at times - something that I haven't really experienced since the Chamber of Secrets episode (which bored me silly and also sent me to zzzz land)

I definitely preferred The Prisoner Of Azkhaban and The Goblet of Fire. They were just as dark, but at the same time, more engaging. Dare I suggest that the source material wasn't up to it?

Worth seeing, but ultimately, a little disappointing, granted the high quality of the previous offerings.

My Rating

***



I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...