Skip to main content

Backwards Britain

I've just had an extraordinary encounter.

I turned up to a mega-supermarket just after four o'clock. According to British Sunday Trading Legislation, all shops can be open for a maximum of six hours. Fair enough.

However, the doors were still wide open and I could customers milling around inside, whilst others were queuing. The security guard who was standing there (who didn't look too bright) refused me entry because it was after the allotted hour (he said that if he did, he would lose his job) I explained that I only needed to go in quickly to buy some recordable cd's and I would be out. He refused and was soon joined by another Einstein who informed me that the customers inside had to pay for their shopping and vacate the premises by 4.30

So let's get this straight. I am standing at the door, wanting to make purchases. People inside are at the tills waiting to pay. The doors are wide open and I'm being denied access. The Manageress came along and spouted the same line. I offered to let her get the items for me (we're talking two packets of CD-R's for Heaven's sake) whilst I waited at the door. She refused. She even told me to go to another shop to buy what I was looking for!

I could go on, but what's the point? Another heavy turned up to intimidate me (he didn't) and having stood my ground, I realised that I was dealing with a bunch of jobsworthy imbeciles. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had closed the doors, but to deny me access whilst other people are wandering around, not looking particularly fussed, really pissed me off (particularly as it had taken me over half-an-hour to get to the damn store).

Unfortunately, that's why British commerce will never match the level of the Americans. I guarantee you that had this happened over there, I would be have been let in and told to "hurry up". The British do not understand the concept of customer service. These people were more concerned to stick to the "line" than use their miniscule brains to think creatively. They would make crap teachers!

It is extraordinary that a potential customer has to have an argument with staff to go into the store to spend money.

Rant over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...