All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Monday 19 March 2007

Intimidated But Not Cowered II

On Friday, the student who had threatened me, turned up to school, having worked out his exclusion. We saw one another and pretended not to, if you know what I mean.

Later on, whilst going to the front office to get patrol for another unruly student, I saw him on the couch in a pretty precarious position. In fact, he looked almost unconscious.

Of course an ambulance was called and a number of strongly suspected that he'd taken or smoked something he shouldn't have All of a sudden, my antipathy towards the child disappeared as I wondered whether I would ever see him again.

It turns out that he'd been having some sort of epileptic fit, unaware that he had this condition. I saw him today, right as rain and cheerfully asked him how he felt. He looked slightly taken aback by my concern, but smiled nevertheless and told me he was OK.

Now I'm feeling somewhat guilty for wanting to have him excluded from my class. I know I shouldn't, but would it be correct to take this course of action, granted his condition? I am aware that there is no connection between the different strands of his being, but what if he misbehaves again and my actions lead to him having a seizure?

Moral dilemma looms large.

Yet again.

No comments: