All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Wednesday 28 March 2007

Shazam!

I think I've just had the most fulfilling experience yet, in my short teaching career - and it didn't even happen in school.

A student who is beavering away at his GCSE coursework has been plagued with bad luck in relation to his falteringly constructed Access databases. He's already screwed one up and yesterday, whilst working on the the replacement, he somehow managed to corrupt the mdb file he's been working on since his last disaster. I just couldn't open the damn thing to repair it and I told him that I would do my best to get it back for him.

I came home this afternoon and spent nearly two hours trying to find a downloadable demo that could sort the problem out. After numerous attempts, I came across an application that did the job and to my delight, reinstated his file, with both tables intact. I can't wait to see his face when he realises he can work on it again.

I really can't describe how great I feel right now because there's no other job that can give you such a high - albeit once in a (very) blue moon.

No comments: