Skip to main content

Guess Who?

This is the scenario:

You've got this guy in Iran who has a real problem with the Jews. He hates them and wants to wipe them off the planet. So he's devising this plan to get his way. First of all, he tries to curry favour with his powerful friends to get their support and establish his credentials. Then, he sets about building his weapon, hoping that it will be used as soon as possible to achieve his goal.

Sounds familiar? Well, it is, except that I'm talking about President Haman of Persia, who lived, oh about two thousand five hundred years ago or so.

Today is the Fast of Esther when we remember how Queen Esther of the eponymous book put her life of the line to protect our people. I am fasting, if only to beg G-d to do his thing and untangle the workings of the modern day Haman in Iran - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The similarities between these two monsters is striking, both in their utter hatred of the Jews (compare Ahmadinejad's claims that that we made the Holocaust up with Haman's rantings about our nation) and their wish to "wipe us/our country" off the planet.

Haman constructed his gallows and Ahmadinejad is building his nuclear weapons.
Let's hope that both men share the same fate and that we can celebrate future Purims, stamping out the name of this new Haman alongside his predecessor.

I pray with all sincerity that G-d is listening this time too.

Comments

The VP said…
Fast well Claude.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...