Skip to main content

In The Beginning

1:1 In the beginning G-d created heaven and earth.

1:2 The earth was without form and empty, with darkness
on the face of the depths, but G-d's spirit moved on the water's surface.


1:3 G-d said, 'There shall be light,' and light came into existence.

1:4 G-d saw that the light was good, and G-d divided
between the light and the darkness.


1:5 G-d named the light 'Day,' and the darkness He named
'Night.' It was evening and it was morning, one day.


Today, according to Jewish tradition (and the Hebrew calendar) is the anniversary of the creation of the world. At the end of the sixth day, G-d created man and sure enough, this coincides with the advent of the new Jewish Year, Rosh Hashanah (which will start on Friday night).

I have made a point of reminding myself of this fact throughout the day, as if to keep in mind the direction that man has taken throughout the ages. G-d took something without form and made it into infinite galaxies. He nurtured this planet, gave it life and love and then left it to man to guard.

Judging from our actions, both towards ourselves and our planet, I think we've let G-d down.

Yet, here we are on the anniversary of this momentous happening and I think it imperative that we to try to re-ignite the special light that was only witnessed fleetingly on that day.

Whether or not you believe that the creation took one day or millions of years, please give a special thought to this anniversary.

Once again, we have the opportunity to start anew, so please, let's not make a mess of the forthcoming year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...