All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 27 July 2006

A Trip To The Tower(s)

I’m exhausted! We took the kids to the wonderful Alton Towers Theme Park, a mere 128 miles away.

We left early (after a few…ahem…hiccups) and got there at around 10.30 – only an hour after the park had opened.

Alton Towers, for those who don’t know, is probably the best amusement park in the country (of course, it pales into insignificance when you compare it to the Disney parks, which I’ve been to, both in Florida and California) in that it’s huge and the rides are pretty cool.

We managed to get through quite a few of the rides but the highlight definitely had to be the kiosk where you could make your own pop DVD.  You sat against a green screen, wearing a green cloak, which made everything invisible on camera – yes, I had that Harry Potter moment - and your head was superimposed onto cartoon bodies, who were dancing along to pop songs.

Dassi, Tali and I chose “La Bamba”, whilst Dana, Shira (who sat beautifully) and Michal (who was very funny throughout) lip synched to “I Will Survive”. The hardest thing was keeping your head “attached” to the cartoon body!

The wonderful thing was also that we were able to take the DVD home with us.

We also had one of those sepia photos taken with the six of dressed in 20’s Gangster gear. The end results looked pretty authentic. I think I would have made a rather excellent gangster.

Aside from that, it was the usual thrills (and a few spills) as we made our way around the park. The girls were also pretty well behaved (particularly on the car journeys), despite the soaring heat and obvious tiredness.

It was a lovely day for all concerned, although I think it will probably take me to the weekend to recover, since we didn’t get home to 10.04 p.m. (there is significance to the 04 bit, I had wanted to get there by 10 and prove to the Sat Nav that its predictions were wrong – damn traffic!)

No comments: