All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Sunday 30 July 2006

In Vino Veritas

There is a Latin saying “In Vino Veritas”, lit. in wine, there is truth. This is particularly apt in the case of a drunken Mel Gibson, who allegedly (according to TMZ.com) when arrested on Thursday night, unleashed a barrage of anti-semitic and sexist rhetoric at the attending police officers.

I don’t know whether this story is true or not but if it were, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Mr Gibson’s controversial filming of The Passion last year was almost universally panned by Jewish leaders and Rabbis as being an anti-semitic reading of the Gospels and it is well known that Mr Gibson’s father is an acknowledged denier of the Holocaust. As the saying goes, the apple never falls far from the tree.

I have very little time for someone of the ilk of Mel Gibson. I have seen his films and have been pretty unimpressed by his glorification of violence and penchant for “gritty realism”. Whether or not this story is true, Mr Gibson’s statement that “I acted like a person completely out of control when (I was) arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable… I am deeply ashamed of everything I said”, leaves me totally cold.

In Vino Veritas.

No comments: