Skip to main content

Some Oscar musings

I watched the Oscar show last night.

I got some satisfaction from a number of results:

Firstly, the Palestinian film (nominated in the Best Foreign Film category) that glorified suicide bombing came away unfeted, unpicked and generally ignored. I guess you could say that the film makers attempts to give legitimacy to the murder of both Jews and Arabs….blew up in their faces (I couldn’t resist that one).

Additionally, Steven Spielberg’s “important” Munich was glossed over by the Academy. Aw shucks Steven…maybe you should stick to making films that you do know something about (bitch bitch).

On a lighter note, March Of The Penguins, which I reviewed here, justifiably walked away with the Best Documentary statuette. This is totally deserved (dodgy film work and all).

The pre-title sequence with all those former presenters refusing to re-do the job this year, was nothing short of inspired. I laughed at loud when they showed Jon Stewart in bed with a very demure George Clooney. Classic stuff.

Another highlight was the teaming of Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin to present the award to Robert Altman for the “He’s just about alive, so let’s honour him before he drops” Oscar. Weren’t they just great together? (of course, if you haven’t seen the show, you won’t know what I’m prattling on about.)

Oscar has worked his magic again, especially in the choice of Crash over Brokeback Mountain. Having seen neither film, but wanting to see the former, I can’t really give much comment except that it’s all part of the fun.

Comments

TheLadyLazarus said…
Well, miser, at least that penguin-thingy you showed your students won something.
The Scribbler said…
Before you go around name calling, let's get a few things straight:

1) The reason I have not seen any of the movies recently is because I'm working my backside off and finding next to no time available for going to the movies

2) The "students" you refer to, were my own children.

Get your facts right.
TheLadyLazarus said…
Hey, that was a typing mistake. I meant "Mister".
pfffffffffth

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...