Skip to main content

Oscar Night

I thought I’d add a few posts as I haven’t updated the site for nearly a week.

Last night, we were invited a lovely Bar Mitzvah and my cousin promised that he would pop in to see what I was up to here. If you’re reading this J, welcome!

The venue was a Gentlemen’s Club. Now before any of you get the wrong idea, there was a nary a scantily dressed woman in sight. No, this was an old fashioned “women are barred from so and so room club”, you know, the kind you see in films like “Around The World In 80 Days”.

Sitting at a table with relatives, my eyes were drawn to a glass cabinet lining the wall. To my surprise, I spotted an Oscar statuette. I went over to have a look and lo and behold, their found myself staring at the genuine article; a real Academy Award. It had been presented to famed British director Emeric Pressburger for “best writing of an original story” in relation to ‘The Invaders aka The 49th Parallel’ in 1942. He was a member of the club and when he passed away, he bequeathed all his trophies to the institution. It was sitting next to a BAFTA too (but that’s not nearly as exciting as the Oscar).

I wandered around and couldn’t help but imagine this group of crusty old men reading The Times, smoking their Havana cigars with a glass of brandy in their right hand.
It really was a different world.

When I left the club and re-entered 2006, I could almost feel the ghosts of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells accompanying me through the cold night air of London town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...