All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 16 February 2006

Movie Review: March Of The Penguins.



I took the kids to see this movie but in all honesty, I don't think that was a particularly good idea. The girls didn't know where we going and when we got to the cinema, they wanted to see Chicken Little! Interestingly enough, Michal, the youngest seemed to enjoy it the most, whilst Dassi (aged 8½) hated every minute (although secretly, I could see that she was quite enraptured with what was going on - when she got over her prejudice about seeing a movie that had no ' action', as she put it, involved).

The movie tells the "story" of how Emperor Penguins make the 70+ mile march to a remote ice shelf somewhere in the freezing Antarctic, to meet a mate and reproduce.

I won't give the narrative away by telling you what happens but will categorically state that this is a fascinating and at times incredible motion picture. How the cameramen managed to get the images they did is remarkable. I came away with a greater understanding of the way in which Penguins, to whom I have a new found respect, survive in one of the most inhospitable places on earth. These birds could certainly teach the rest of us humans a lesson in what are the real priorities in life.

My only gripe is that some of the images are so pixellated, that they would probably play much better on TV. When the female penguins finally get to the water (you'll understand if you've seen the film), the aquatic shots are quite a let-down, particularly when compared to the crisp images on the ice. Similarly too, the beauty of the Southern Lights is lost by very suspect camerawork. Were I editing the film, I know that I would have certainly cut the latter out as it does take away from the majesty of the rest of the movie and it is this slight annoyance that stops me awarding March Of The Penguins a full "Five Teacher" rating.

For any nature lovers out there and even if you're not, please see this movie, but exercise discretion in taking young kids, despite the "U" certification (or "G" in the US).

The Teacher's Rating

(out of 5)

3 comments:

TheLadyLazarus said...

Haha. Take them to see Ginger Snaps or something. Maybe you'll get a 6 and a 1/2 next time.

The Scribbler said...

Ginger Snaps doesn't look like the kind of movie I would see, let alone take my daughters to!

I think I'll stick with penguins!

Marc Gartenberg said...

I think you're being too generous. Leave our VP alone. We know your name and where you live. Oh and your government is watching you. Let me know when you get your NATIONAL ID CARD :).

From,

A gregarious and slightly paranoid American from Washington