Skip to main content

Apathy Vs Enthusiasm

The Israeli media are falling over themselves to describe how apathetic the average man/woman on the street feels about tomorrow’s election. This is despite (or perhaps as a result of) the endless onslaught of pretty party ads; the novelty of sending Multimedia Messages to mobile phones to sway punters and the incessant politicking which has taken over just about every Israeli media outlet in existence - the public are just plain bored.

I’m not Israeli. I live about 2,000 miles away from the nearest voting booth (unless you count the ones they’ve installed in the Embassy) but let me tell you, I can’t wait for tomorrow night.

Why?

Because for the first time ever, I too will be watching the election night broadcasts – not the limited, acid-laced, one-sided BBC or CNN “special features” but the real thing -  via the multitude of Israeli internet sites that have spent the last fortnight filling my inbox, begging me to click onto links that take me far beyond the British Isles.

Thanks to the magic of broadband, I can now watch live video from Rabin Square, where the locals are living it up, listening to music, schmoozing, socialising and having a pretty good time; tune into numerous radio stations and hear the endless analyses and phone-ins; witness debates (in English no less, although my Hebrew ain’t bad) featuring the pundits, politicos and semi-important personages and most importantly, see the results as they come in, district by district, party by party - all this from my l’il ole PC.

I guess it’s a question of one man’s apathy being another’s enthusiasm.

Israeli election night?
I can’t wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...