Skip to main content

A Very Positive Start

Having just watched Israeli Prime-Minister elect Ehud Olmert finishing off his victory speech, I feel a certain sense of elation.

Watching the internet, I witnessed some live footage of Olmert, standing at the Western Wall, praying. Similarly so, at the end of his speech, he donned his Kipah (skullcap) and recited a prayer familiar to anyone who attends Shul on Shabbat morning, asking the Lord to bless and protect the Land of Israel.

There are no doubt cynics who might say that these were simply token gestures to garner some extra brownie points amongst the Religious members of the cabinet (or country for that matter) whilst also getting a little more credo from within the hostile settler community. Personally, I would like to think that this was not the case, rather a human being like you or I, who also happens to be Prime Minister of the only Jewish country in the world, remembering that, at the end of the day, there is someone/something more important than himself controlling events on the ground.

In other words, he demonstrated to the world what Judaism is really all about.

The ancient kings of Israel who followed the word of G-d, never sought to take the credit when the People of Israel were rescued from their enemies. They were very much aware that, although they were indeed kings, in the eyes of the Lord, they too were as prone to human failings as any of their subjects.

Maybe tonight, Ehud Olmert, soon to be the most powerful person in Israel, showed the rest of us that whatever solution(s) he and his cabinet choose to end the bloodshed in Israel, he acknowledges that it is only G-d who can bring real peace.

This was truly a Kiddush Hashem – a sanctification of G-d’s name and it made me feel extraordinarily proud to be a member of his tribe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...