Skip to main content

The Two Heads.

The head that hit the pillow last night had endured what can only be described as a pretty hellish week.

My meeting with the Year 7’s ten days ago, convinced me that it was time to re-jig the seating plans in most of my classes. Some of the kids who were falling behind were doing so because they were either sat too far to the back, or next to some undesirables. Additionally, I am of the belief that it’s quite healthy to move the kids around every now and again if they start feeling too comfortable – and as a result getting into cruise control, work-wise.

I knew that I was asking for trouble but I soldiered ahead with my plans. Some kids expressed their dissatisfaction quite readily and were given the choice of either moving to where I had put them, or leaving the class and thereby incurring a one hour after school detention.

If this wasn’t bad enough, there was a bombshell awaiting us all…

On Thursday morning, we were ushered into the hall by the Chair of Governors, to be informed that the panel had chosen a new Head Teacher. When incumbent was announced as the new Head, there was a very stony silence from everyone in the room (aside from the Chair) - you could have literally cut the air with a very blunt knife.
The teachers present were not in the least pleased, because this person is doing zilch to stop the kids from spiralling out of control. Monday’s attack on the staff member seems to have had absolutely no effect on the panel’s decision to choose this extremely affable but weak person to challenge what is becoming a pretty serious problem for us all.

If that wasn’t bad enough, when I returned (at break) from the one lesson that I don’t teach in my room, I found that some little you-know-what had unplugged the keyboard from my pc, destroyed a floppy disk that had my name written on the front and walked off with my mouse.

The kids in the subsequent lesson were virtually unteachable and the message that the new Head is turning a blind eye to their recklessness is writ large in the air that flows throughout the school.

After yet another parents’ evening, I got home, having spent close on 12 hours at the school.

Despite my earlier post, I have started to think the unthinkable. Am I mad for staying on? Should I be looking elsewhere? One thing I can probably guarantee is that Thursday morning’s news will certainly lead to staff walking in July.

It’s all very depressing.

It was a very sore head that hit the pillow last night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...