Skip to main content

An Apology (of sorts).

My very good friend, H, who reads this blog, rightly commented this morning that in my "Jew Teacher" posting, I should not have used the sort of language I did, to describe some of the children I teach. I have therefore replaced the offending word with numerous asterisks.

Today, yet another member of our staff (a lovely lady who works down the hallway) was assaulted by one of these little ***** (see H, I'm being careful) and if that wasn't bad enough, she then had to endure one of the lovely Year 10's I teach laughing in her face, after she had been accidentally wacked across the neck with a tennis ball.
Apparently, he found her misfortune extremely funny.

The attack that the preceded the accident was the fourth such incident against a member of staff in the last month or so. The little darlings are getting more violent by the day and we, both the teaching and non-teaching staff are really beginning to wonder as to when our turn will come (don't worry mum, I can take good care of myself).

As I wrote, a while back, I had a Year 7 kid take a swing at me last term. Had he hit me, I might have endured a broken jaw (oh c'mon, let me bit a little dramatic here!) or probably more likely, a bloodied nose. The problem is that I don't know where I stand if I then thump him and as a result, risk the chance of being prosecuted for this action of self defense.

I agree that violence breeds violence and so, in fighting back, I am only spurring the kid on. However, does this mean that I have to worry that if I do defend myself from what could be a seriously assault, I could lose my job?

I am sorry I used that derogatory term to describe the children I teach. I should have just called them 'hoodlums'. At least then, I would be reporting a more accurate picture of the kind of children - yes children - I/we are living with.

Then again, the most frightening thing to come out of all this, is that the children of today will be the parents of tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Surely you must receive training about these situations?

Bradley

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...