Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Dark Knight (IMAX)


I positively had to see this film at the IMAX, although I was under the impression that it had been entirely filmed in this process. That said, the opening and closing scenes, as well as all the aerial shots were absolutely eye-popping to behold and this made the exorbitant entry fee (a gift from my wife) worth it.

The film is very very dark and unrelenting. Heath Ledger's performance is in one word, unforgettable. He not only chews up the scenery, he spits it out with a venom that even the world's deadliest snake could not muster. Maybe you feel it more because he's not around to repeat it. His joker is a nasty piece of work, with no sense of humour. Ok, maybe a little bit, but not the kind that we would laugh at.

The story is grim but magnetic and I didn't feel the generous length at any time. This might have been due to the fact that I was gawping at the IMAX effect. I must tell you that when you see Batman flying through the air peering at the ground, zillions of feet below, you are right there next to him and I did experience my vertigo kicking in (I kid you not).

This is definitely NOT a kids movie and I'm pretty surprised that it didn't get a 15 rating. If you can, see this at an IMAX, because it's worth the trip, but I would recommend booking your seat now. I booked mine on the 27th July, with yesterday being the first date when a decent seat was available.

****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...