Skip to main content

Existence

It is 1939 and I'm sitting in my house, reading a letter that informs me of the rejection of my visa by the United States. I've already tried getting into numerous countries but nobody wants to grant me access. The stateless Jew.

What will happen to me?

What will become of my parents, wife, children?

Who will help me?

Who will save me from the Nazis, Poles, Ukrainians, Lithuanians?


It is 2008 and I'm sitting in my house, looking at a gentlemen, an emissary of the Israeli Government who tells me to pack my bags as soon as possible.

Gather my parents, wife and children.

Meet him by the car in 15 minutes.

Because In 24 hours, we will all be in Israel.

Safe.

And some anti-semitic/zionist bastard has the nerve to tell me that there is no justification for the existence of the State of Israel?

Comments

Anonymous said…
you say it very well

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...