All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Saturday 23 August 2008

Michali's Moment

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while will be aware of the special treat that is bestowed upon my girls, from my parents, when they reach their eighth birthday.

Dassi got to spend a week in New York. Tali hit Eilat and Michal, who reaches her milestone on Thursday will be visiting Belgium for the very first time in her life.

I like these holidays, not least because I get to tag along, which is not something you will hear me complaining about. This trip, however, is very special as I have Belgian blood flowing through my veins.

OK, maybe that didn't sound as good as it did when I thought it up, but since both my parents are Antwerp born (or in the general neighbourhood of the city), this is tantamount to my returning to my roots.

I spent a lot of time in Antwerp as a kid, since my mother used to take me there on a regular basis to visit my grandmother. I wouldn't say that I grew up in Antwerp, but damn near enough to feel particularly excited about sharing the city with one of my offspring.

That said, we won't be spending a lot of time in the city, since we are staying elsewhere, but a holiday is a holiday nevertheless and I'm looking forward to leaving Britain's shores, if only for a few days.

I can't quite believe that my little Michali is about to smash through her eighth birthday, but, as they say, time stops for no man (read that as women, child etc).

I'm taking my laptop with me, but I doubt if I'll manage to get a wireless connection. Maybe I'll just write my blogs up and post them when I get back....assuming that some smarmy Belgian doesn't walk off with it.

Liking the country, doesn't necessarily entail liking the people....

No comments: