Skip to main content

Michali's Moment

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while will be aware of the special treat that is bestowed upon my girls, from my parents, when they reach their eighth birthday.

Dassi got to spend a week in New York. Tali hit Eilat and Michal, who reaches her milestone on Thursday will be visiting Belgium for the very first time in her life.

I like these holidays, not least because I get to tag along, which is not something you will hear me complaining about. This trip, however, is very special as I have Belgian blood flowing through my veins.

OK, maybe that didn't sound as good as it did when I thought it up, but since both my parents are Antwerp born (or in the general neighbourhood of the city), this is tantamount to my returning to my roots.

I spent a lot of time in Antwerp as a kid, since my mother used to take me there on a regular basis to visit my grandmother. I wouldn't say that I grew up in Antwerp, but damn near enough to feel particularly excited about sharing the city with one of my offspring.

That said, we won't be spending a lot of time in the city, since we are staying elsewhere, but a holiday is a holiday nevertheless and I'm looking forward to leaving Britain's shores, if only for a few days.

I can't quite believe that my little Michali is about to smash through her eighth birthday, but, as they say, time stops for no man (read that as women, child etc).

I'm taking my laptop with me, but I doubt if I'll manage to get a wireless connection. Maybe I'll just write my blogs up and post them when I get back....assuming that some smarmy Belgian doesn't walk off with it.

Liking the country, doesn't necessarily entail liking the people....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...