Skip to main content

Day 2: Irritating The Flemish

Many of the Flemish people boast a proud history of hating both the Jews and the French Language in equal measure.

During the Second World War, they or their dear anscestors delighted in collaborating with the Nazis and this particular admiration for my brethren has continued into the present day, with the nationalistic Vlaams Belang party only the latest incarnation of the Flemish desire to gain idependence from Belgium and rid itself of non aryans. It's a grubby little party, made of up grubby little Flems.

You can therefore understand my sheer delight in going around the seaside resort we're staying in, on the Flemish coast of course, wearing my Kippah (skullcup) and talking French to any Flemish speaking person I could find. It was a lot of fun pissing them off, whilst noting the looks of disgust I received, particularly from the older folk, whom I am in no doubt, probably collaborated with the Nazis.

That said, Michal and I had a lot of fun in the heated swimming pool as I attempted to help her with her swimming. We visited the beautiful town of Ypres, which of course the Flemish have renamed (to Ieper) and in the evening, we met with old friends and went for a lovely walk around town (Kippah still in prominent position).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...