Skip to main content

Day 4: The "Cholent" Park

It’s been an emotional day.

We drove to Antwerp, the city where both my parents were born and made our way to the Jewish cemetery in Putte, Holland, where I was able to go to the graves of my grandfather, great grandfather (after whom I am named) and great-grandmother, who shares her name with my mother. I’d last visited in 1993 and fifteen years flows by incredibly quickly.

We came back to Antwerp and I had a need to revisit the park of my youth, the “Cholent” Park as we call it, which lies in the centre of the city.

As a small child, my mother used to take me to Antwerp about every three months and I virtually grew up in the park. I can’t even innumerate the number of times, we crossed the road from my grandparents flat at 16 Rubenslei and entered the park, past the grand statue to the duck pond, which is long gone. At the pond, I used to meet my friends as they came out of Shul (Synagogue) on Shabbat mornings.

So many memories.

I’m glad to say that the park hasn’t changed much in 30+ years. Where there used to be a green patch, there now lies a wonderful children’s play area, the type that I wished would have existed when I was young. Sand has replaced the grass, but it is the still the same skyline I remember from those bygone days. The pathway around the duck-pond (sans ducks) has been pushed back and there is more green space. In fact, it is a much nicer place than it used to be! However, the memories can’t be erased or even defaced that easily.

I found the apartment where my grandparents used to live and even managed to get into the lobby. I stood there, memories gushing back to the time when we had to empty the flat when my grandmother came to live with us in England in the late 1970’s. How strange to be back accompanied by one my daughters. Bizarre, yet wonderful at the same time.

I left Antwerp, sadder than when I’d entered. Somehow I felt that once again, I’d reburied a little element of my past life in the shallow grave of my memory.

I know it’s the not last time I’ll return to either the Cholent Park or 16 Rubenslei.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post. When you have a moment I'd like to invite you to visit a new online Jewish journal that I publish called The New Vilna Review (www.newvilnareview.com) which is dedicated to exploring themes of modern Jewish identity from both an individual and a communal perspective. Perhaps you'd be interested in writing a longer piece about the experience of going back to these places from your childhood?

-Daniel E. Levenson
Publisher and Editor-in-Chief
The New Vilna Review
www.newvilnareview.com

-Daniel E. Levenson

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...