All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Sunday 24 June 2007

Movie Review: Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer


A mischievous thought entered my mind as I sat watching this movie. I wondered if architects around the world designed structures (such as the London Eye, which features in the movie) for the sole purpose of seeing how Hollywood would depict them being attacked by aliens or simply imagined that they be would used as backdrops for set (action) pieces.

In the last fifteen years, we've seen the Millennium Dome (The World Is Not Enough), White House (Independence Day) and Channel Tunnel (Mission Impossible) respectively serving as locations for full-on action scenes. Are the locations chosen for their very presence, or are they created especially for Hollywood?

In other words, what came first, the action movie or the London Eye?

Yes, yes, I'm being facetious, but I do wonder what Hollywood would do if these structures didn't exist. Maybe they'd create them anyway.

This all detracts me from reviewing Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer, which I certainly enjoyed more than the original FF movie. The story is pretty pedestrian and there aren't many surprises, but it moves along at a sprightly pace and kept my attention on the screen throughout the meagre running time.

The characters are pretty one-dimensional and the special effects are nothing special (G-d, haven't we all become spoiled?). In fact, I often wondered whether either Spider-Man or one of the X-Men would pop up in one of the scenes, as the movie did seem very samey.

That said, I can't fault it for its entertainment value and it kept my three eldest kids interested throughout, which is no mean feat.

In short, this FF release is entertaining if somewhat undemanding (and nowhere near the kind of superior comic adaptation evinced in either Spider-Man 2 or Batman Begins)

If you've got kids, take them.

My Rating

***

No comments: