All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 21 June 2007

George vs Paul

Its definitely rich pickings on the ex-Beatles' catalogues this week. Having purchased Macca's new CD, I also shelled out on newly released The Traveling Wilbury's Collection which arrived yesterday. For those who don't know, the Wilburys were made up of George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison (who sadly died shortly after the release of Volume 1), Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty.

I had already purchased the Volume 1 back in 1988 when it came out, but for some reason, let the second album, perversely titled Volume 3, slip me by. By the time I realised that I wanted it, it had been deleted from the company's catalogue.

No matter, I only had to wait seventeen years to get a listen (I could have probably found it somewhere else, but I wasn't that desperate).

The good news is that both Wilburys albums have been remastered and re-released as a single collection, made up three disks (one of which is a pretty cool DVD). To make matters even more interesting, the album entered the pop charts at number 1, whilst Paul's recent, worthy effort only managed to get in at to number 5, only to descend to number 10 this week.

I wonder how he feels about George pipping him to the post, despite being long gone?

No comments: