Skip to main content

The Ever Popular Pepper

It was forty years ago today, Sgt Pepper told the band to play.....

Have you ever heard the album?
Do you think it is over-hyped?

I've been that much of a fan of the album. Aside from the marvellous "A Day In The Life" and maybe "When I'm 64", I'm not too enamoured with it. The music is good, it rocks along and the special effects still enthrall, but in the overall scheme of things, I believe Abbey Road or even Revolver to be superior offerings. I find the songs on those albums to be more effecting and memorable.

However, I seem to be in the minority as 'everybody loves Pepper'.

I think both John and Ringo got it right when they showed their disapproval of the project. They saw it for what it was, a shiny, maybe even dazzling production - devoid of any real heart. I would even go further by saying that, had A Day In The Life not been included, Pepper would not have received the kind of respect and adulation that it still elicits from both fans and critics alike.

It does rock, it sometimes rolls but I feel that Paul's songs therein are far from being his best (aside from She's Leaving Home, which is truly great, even though Sir George Martin didn't produce it). If anything, I would say that it is John who provides the best input, with dizzying classics like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and the said final track (which happens to be my favourite Beatles' song).

It was forty years ago today, but it was also forty one years ago since Revolver and thirty eight since Abbey Road.

Let's keep things in perspective, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...