Skip to main content

Movie Review: Flags Of Our Fathers



I booked tickets on the phone for a friend and myself.

I needn't have bothered as we were the only ones in the cinema. I don't think I've ever been privy to a private viewing before, but it was certainly an experience. What's more, if you're going to have a screen to yourself, it might as well be for a movie that reeks of quality and Flags of Our Fathers is such a film.

Watching this movie, one couldn't ignore the input of Steven Spielberg, who was joint producer. At times, this seemed like a parallel version of Saving Private Ryan, from the similarly staged beach scenes (minus the startling sound effects that made the former movie so memorable) to the deployment of washed out colours.

The cast is uniformly superb, in particular Ryan Philippe, whom I hadn't rated too highly previously. He went beyond the 'pretty boy' image and delivered an achingly believable performance as John Bradley, through whose eyes we witness the soaring highs and plunging depths of the Battle for Iwo Jima.

Clint Eastwood, who is proving himself to be one of the greatest directors, takes us into the heart of what heroism is (and isn't) about and this is never more apparent than the way in which he portrays the story of the truly tragic Ira Hayes.

Flags Of Our Fathers tells an important story and one which is as relevant today as it was back in 1945. My only gripe is that it's strongest asset (i.e. the involvement of Spielberg) is also its greatest debit, in that it lacks the impact of Spielberg's epic and as a result, the battle scenes seem as though they were shot at the same time as Mr S's movie.

Had the former not been made, this film would have delivered the knockout blow that it should - granted that we are talking about a true story (although Saving Private Ryan did accurately portray the invasion of Normandy).

Highly recommended (especially if you can get yourself a private screening)

Teacher's Rating

****½

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...