Skip to main content

The Correct Course Of Action

I'm in a meditative mood.

I'm thinking about the things in life that I believe in one hundred percent. One of these is my rock-solid belief in the existence of G-d and His constant presence in the world. Another is the willing acceptance of the tenets of Judaism, through which I choose to live my life.

Aside from that, there's not much else I can say that I truly believe in to the same extent (and I'm not talking about relationships with family etc). With all this in mind, I will add one more belief - the execution of Saddam Hussein was something that had to happen.

Why do I add this ugly event to such an exclusive list?

Let's start from the premise (as I do) that Saddam Hussein was one of the few people on earth who could be termed as being genuinly evil. He is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, not through neglect or misadventure, but in the full knowledge that, what he was doing was, in his twisted mind, the absolutely correct course of action. Men, women and children were massacred in the most sadistic manner and Saddam didn't bat an eyelid.

That my friends is evil.

How does one judge someone who has acted in such a manner?

1) Do you allow him the right to live - a gift that he took from so many people?

2) Do you lock him away and leave him to rot out the rest of his life in jail - but still give him the right to live?

3) Or do you shame him in front of the world, demonstrate that his actions are beyond anything that is humanely acceptable and that, as a result of his behaviour, he must face the ultimate punishment?

Without any hesitation whatsoever, I go for number three.

This is why I believe that Saddam just had to be executed. Any other decision on the part of the Iraqi Government or Western World for that matter, would have sent the message to other members of his "club" of despots that they can do whatever they like - to whomever they like - and as a result, they will never have to face the prospect of being deprived of the thing that matters to them most, namely their life.

Saddam's execution will hopefully send chills down the backs of any other bloodthirsty dictator who thinks that he cannot and will not be held accountable for his actions.

When I hear the idiots at Amnesty International or other such bodies deploring the execution of Saddam, I realise that the inmates have finally taken over the asylum. Where were their "authoritative" voices when he gassed the Kurds or rained 39 scuds down on the innocent citizens of Israel? What did they have to say about the fact that he also paid $15,000 to the family of each suicide bomber who carried out an attack in Israel (no wonder the Palestinians mourn his demise)?


There will be repercussions but, at the end of the day, there was no other option. Evil must be eradicated for good to prevail.

Saddam's execution was an example of such eradication and that is why I believe so strongly in it's taking place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...