All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Saturday 30 December 2006

The Correct Course Of Action

I'm in a meditative mood.

I'm thinking about the things in life that I believe in one hundred percent. One of these is my rock-solid belief in the existence of G-d and His constant presence in the world. Another is the willing acceptance of the tenets of Judaism, through which I choose to live my life.

Aside from that, there's not much else I can say that I truly believe in to the same extent (and I'm not talking about relationships with family etc). With all this in mind, I will add one more belief - the execution of Saddam Hussein was something that had to happen.

Why do I add this ugly event to such an exclusive list?

Let's start from the premise (as I do) that Saddam Hussein was one of the few people on earth who could be termed as being genuinly evil. He is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, not through neglect or misadventure, but in the full knowledge that, what he was doing was, in his twisted mind, the absolutely correct course of action. Men, women and children were massacred in the most sadistic manner and Saddam didn't bat an eyelid.

That my friends is evil.

How does one judge someone who has acted in such a manner?

1) Do you allow him the right to live - a gift that he took from so many people?

2) Do you lock him away and leave him to rot out the rest of his life in jail - but still give him the right to live?

3) Or do you shame him in front of the world, demonstrate that his actions are beyond anything that is humanely acceptable and that, as a result of his behaviour, he must face the ultimate punishment?

Without any hesitation whatsoever, I go for number three.

This is why I believe that Saddam just had to be executed. Any other decision on the part of the Iraqi Government or Western World for that matter, would have sent the message to other members of his "club" of despots that they can do whatever they like - to whomever they like - and as a result, they will never have to face the prospect of being deprived of the thing that matters to them most, namely their life.

Saddam's execution will hopefully send chills down the backs of any other bloodthirsty dictator who thinks that he cannot and will not be held accountable for his actions.

When I hear the idiots at Amnesty International or other such bodies deploring the execution of Saddam, I realise that the inmates have finally taken over the asylum. Where were their "authoritative" voices when he gassed the Kurds or rained 39 scuds down on the innocent citizens of Israel? What did they have to say about the fact that he also paid $15,000 to the family of each suicide bomber who carried out an attack in Israel (no wonder the Palestinians mourn his demise)?


There will be repercussions but, at the end of the day, there was no other option. Evil must be eradicated for good to prevail.

Saddam's execution was an example of such eradication and that is why I believe so strongly in it's taking place.

No comments: