Skip to main content

Iraq - An Interesting Viewpoint

Remember about that party I told you about two posts ago?

Well, before the mother of all headaches burst its way into my cerebellum, I was having a really interesting conversation with an expatriate Iraqi Jew, who has been in the UK for seven years.

He is convinced that the real reason why the Americans and British are staying in Iraq, is to use the country as a launch pad for an attack on the Iranian nuclear facilities. I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion that he might have a point. It would certainly make a lot of sense, granted that both countries (and most of the rest of the world, including quite a few Sunni Arab dictatorships) have no interest whatsoever in seeing Shiite Iran go nuclear.

In fact, the recent declaration by Egypt et al that they want to acquire such weapons (presumably to counter the Iranian threat) seems all the more understandable, granted the danger that a nuclear Iran would pose to the region - and for that matter, the rest of the world.

I thought that I should add this little soupcon of information, so that well-meaning but naïve British citizens (or other nationals) who stumble accross this posting realise that the presence of our two countries in Iraq is not necessarily a bad thing.

After all, this might avert the outbreak of the next world war.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...