Skip to main content

3's

A long running bone of contention between the wife and I, revolves around our differing tastes in music. Whereas she likes keeping up with the latest bands, hits and such like, I'm very happy to stick with what I know and more importantly, like.

You can put forward reasoned arguments for both camps. However, since this is my blog (!), I will simply state that, if I ever heard music in the charts that matched the musicianship and quality of the people that I like to listen to, I would readily give the new bands/singers a chance. However, when I'm humming songs by people like Lennon and McCartney, Paul Simon or Bob Dylan, these unfortunate newbies have a pretty high bar to reach.

Their case has not been helped by the superlative recent offerings emanating from some of the aforementioned gentlemen. I say this, because I am currently listening to the latest Dylan production, Modern Times and without exaggerating, it's an absolute stunner. Paul Simon's recent album Surprise was another belter and McCartney's Chaos And Creation In The Backyard showed him to be no slouch in the songwriting stakes either.

It's great to see that these so called "oldies" are still producing work of immense substance, particularly through albums released within the last eighteen months or so.

I mustn't be too harsh on the wife. She is a big fan of Queen, so there's still hope that she might come around and, what's extremely encouraging, is that she's commented most positivily on a number of (the oldies') songs she's accidentally heard when listening to the radio, driving my car or even (gasp) watching MTV!

My "friends" are still demonstrating their membership of a dwindling club. I just wonder how many of today's artists will be eligble to apply when the entire club is reformed, in Dylan's words, beyond the horizon...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have you tried John Mayer and Dave Matthews? They are singer/songwriters, not pop wannabes who sing about fluff(although I enjoy the fluff now and then, too), and Mayer can wail on a guitar to keep up with Clapton. Anyway, they're 2 of my faves, and I just thought I'd pass the word along...

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...