Skip to main content

Our City

Tomorrow night, we will be celebrating the thirty-ninth anniversary of the return of Jerusalem into Jewish hands.

Many people around the world continue to deny the Jewish people the right to claim the city as our eternal capital. On the Temple Mount, the Arabs do what they can to destroy any evidence of our ancient presence, yet, despite their efforts, they cannot erase the basic fact that Jerusalem has, is and will always be - ours.

This is not to say that the city is less important to persons of another faith. What I am stating and categorically so, is that Jerusalem is accessible to anyone who wants to worship therein, but never it let be forgotten that, at the end of the day, we, the Jewish Nation are the only people who, since time immemorial have chosen this very special place as a destination for all our prayers - she belongs to us.

Every time we pray to G-d, we face towards Jerusalem. Every single Ark in every single Synagogue faces towards the city. It’s presence in our psyche is as powerful an image as the setting sun whose famous reflection provides the golden glow that once seen, can never be forgotten.

It is thirty-nine years since the miracle of June 7th 1967, when G-d helped us to recapture the Western Wall (of the Temple Mount), the holiest site we possess. In reality, this event is but a drop in the ocean of the history of our sovereignty over Jerusalem.

Five thousand years ago, Abraham chose the very spot where the Temples would later stand, to offer his son, Isaac in sacrifice to G-d. We have fought many battles to return to our capital and the struggle to achieve international recognition still goes on – but, at the end of the day, time is really not a factor because Jerusalem is imbedded inside every single Jewish man, woman and child who inhabits the planet earth and no-one will ever be able to take that from us.

The sooner our enemies accept that the Jerusalem and the Jewish Nation are one, the sooner there will be a real peace.

We’re not going away and neither is our capital.

Comments

Onyx said…
I have had the privilege of visiting Israel. When I got off the plane I knew that I was on holy ground. I was only there for 10 days, but I shall never forget the feeling of being there. I hope to return some day.
The Scribbler said…
As someone who has visited the country more than forty times, I wholeheartedly agree.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...