Skip to main content

Movie Review: Mission Impossible III

Having seen the first two movies, I came with the usual expectation for action, some sort of storyline and Tom Cruise being, well, Tom Cruise.

I have to say that I left the cinema feeling somewhat under-whelmed. Mission Impossible:3 resembled an extended episode of the TV show. Yes, it was a little more interesting because Ethan Hunt’s character showed a little more emotion than usual, but so what?

I think the film’s main weakness was the miscasting of Philip Seymour Hoffman as the villain. The character may have been mega-clever and sadistic, but he was totally bland. I like my villains to be full-bodied and slightly deranged - think Dennis Hopper (Speed) or John Malkovitch (In The Line Of Fire) or even the many incarnations of Blofeld in the Bond movies and you’ll know exactly was I mean. Hoffman came over as being quite a wimp especially in the scene when he was fighting with Tom Cruise. I mean, what kind of a boring death was that !!!

It’s also worth keeping in mind that I am a huge Bond fan and so any imitations will obviously never quite match a 007 movie.

The best thing about it was the fab music which garners it an extra point.

Teacher’s Recommendation: Wait six months and get the DVD unless you like watching your M:I movies on the big screen.

Disappointing.

Teacher’s Rating: 2/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...