All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Night Of The Living Dread

The hollow eyes and lipstick. The spiky hair and shallow complexion. This can mean one thing and one thing only...it's the annual school talent show and guess what I went on stage as?

That's right my friends.

A zombie.

But not any old zombie - a zombie doing the Thriller dance, along with five other zombified members of staff.

I don't know what possessed me to start doing a zombie dance in front of most of the kids and teachers (and Lord knows how I'm ever going to live that one down), but I've been practicing for the last fortnight. Dancing the lunch breaks away, turning up to afternoon lessons hot, bothered and aching - what more does one need to do to prove total dedication to one's place of work?!

It was a lot of fun and although I didn't quite master all of the steps, I don't think I did too badly either. The most important thing was that everyone had a good time - and not just from watching our act (which was the final offering in front of the "School's Got Talent" panel of judges (i.e. teachers).

Some of the kids' acts were sensational and we had everything from a comic duo (who were very funny) to one of the members of the staff doing brilliant take-offs of the teachers and in particular, of our 'soon to be departed' head (whom I/we shall sorely miss).

One of the great strengths of our school is that the kids really know how to enjoy the spectacle without being disrespectul. Both teachers and kids feel comfortable letting their hair down, sans fear of ridicule (well, I'll tell you if that's the case by the end of tomorrow!).

We didn't win, but who cares. I managed to become a zombie for the very first (and hopefully last) time and you can't really top that. Tonight, it was truly wonderful to be a part of the teaching profession.

thriller, thriller night...

No comments: